Friday, March 4, 2011

Samuel Adams Cream Stout

This beer pours so dark that you have to hold the glass to a light to see through it. The Khaki colored head lingers like a tan cloud hanging over a moonless dark night in spring. Jim Koch's signature on the neck indicates pride in this product, and well they should have it, it is quality. The chocolate and caramel flavors are distinct especially at the finish, even the roasted barley stands out. So smooth is this brew that you could consume one quickly, but do not be overcome by the urge, because the flavors will layer on your tongue as it warms. The carbonation seems to disappear quickly but it still delights your palate as you drink, even without it. Pair this with a smoked brisket and some roasted vegetables and your day will get better almost immediately. Was a little sweet for me so Matt gives this 4 out of a possible 5.


  Dang Matt, I thought waxing poetic about the brews was my job and here you have gone and completely upstaged me. Bravo my friend, Bravo. Where was  I going with that? Oh yeah something about beer...
  Matt really nailed this one in my estimation. There is the suggestion of charcoal in the nose (this is a good thing) along with chocolate. There is a subtle initial bite of bitterness, and then the sweet slides in on you. The sweet is not overly done and is necessary, as this is truthfully a milk stout. I would recommend this ale to those who have already taken their first steps into the wider world of beers, but are still testing the waters.
   Overall this is an excellent brew and I tip my hat to Jim Koch. One thing I particularly appreciate is that the hop balance is so refined that while you can enjoy the distinctive flavor of  Humulus lupulus (I am showing off...impressed yet? Betcha didn't know hops are in the Cannabaceae family {marijuana}) the alpha acid level is kept low enough that I didn't feel the enamel being stripped from my teeth, as I often do with many IPA's. Since the bottle doesn't say anything beyond "hand-selected English Hops" I wonder whether the Fuggle or East Kent Goldings hops were used, as these tend to have a more balanced acid profile.  (picture Zach looking bemused)
  So, in short with all that rambling useless data I just dropped on you, I am saying this beer is not too sweet nor is it too bitter. Buy a six-pack and share it with those you love.
         Zach gives this a 4 out of 5










No comments:

Post a Comment