Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Legbiter and St Patrick's Best by Strangford Lough

   
Well, just let me get started on these offerings from the Strangford Lough Brewing Company based out of 
Killyleagh, County Down, on the shores of the Strangford Lough. The ingredients for the brews sold here in the U.S.A. are grown in Ireland then shipped to the states to be brewed.
  First of all, I have never had anything that can compare to these two brews. They are completely unique concoctions and, as Matt said while we were drinking them, they can only be compared to each other.

 As I pour the Legbiter into my frosted pint glass that is courtesy of Samuel Adams, this brew dances in the glass in a way reminiscent of Guinness. Its color is a rich caramel brown and it has a thick light tan head that lingers long in the glass. I know i am stealing some of Matt's thunder with this next comment, but the nose is slightly sweet and as Matt helped me realize, if you close your eyes and sniff long and slow, there is a hint of cola. In a good way. Though the nose is sweet, the taste is a delicate balance of such that I am truly at a loss to describe.  If you have read some of my earlier post, you well know that at times I could almost be called verbose in my descriptions, but this Legbiter (named after King Magnus of Norway's sword) leaves me pleasantly befuddled. The brew is smooth and rolls across the palate. There is the slightest bite which makes to this ale, though there is no hops present in the flavor. The mouthfeel is pleasant and gentle and after you swallow it, my palate felt clean. Each swallow was such an enigmatic, yet joyful experience. The flavor sings and dances on your taste buds, light as dandelion seeds on a summer breeze and then disappears completely once you swallow it. The flavor intensifies and becomes more complex as the ale nears room temperature. This is truly an ale to be savored and passed on to the next generation. May the Strangford Lough Brewers have a long and storied career.
     Zech gives the Legbiter Ale     4.5 out of 5 stars

I have to say this is a tremendously smooth, enjoyable beer. Its easy to drink and will bring joy to any beer drinker. At first smell I thought ( as Zech said) Cola, but as I drank I realized this is NOT Cola, It did though have a smooth, sweet taste and after racking my brain for the flavor I could compare to, I came up with sassafras. Yes you may think Matt has said he doesn't like sweet beers and even my esteemed reviewer friend raised an eyebrow when I said... Ready... "I like it!". But in my defense so as to not sound wishy washy this beer smells sweeter than it tastes, and the rest of the flavors of this Ale make it a delight. I also found the name very cool. How can you not like a beer named after a sword? I also felt the need to pair this Ale with a nice Porterhouse and a baked sweet potato with lots of butter and Cinnamon, and look forward to doing so. Overall this is a must try.        Matt gives Legbiter 4 out of 5



 Now for my thoughts on the St. Patrick's Best Ale. It pours in an energetic froth that quickly clears, leaving a medium bodied light tan head. This ale has a reddish tint as light shines through it. Its characteristics are somewhat similar to Legbiter, but there is an added hint of caramelized malted grain. It is more bitter on the initial flavor than Legbiter, but still no hint of hops. It is full bodied and rich though not so thick as to be unpleasant. It has a smooth and sweet aftertaste. As I said in my review of Legbiter, this ale can only be compared to its cousin. It is not the same as the Legbiter, but simply has similar qualities to the flavor. If you try this one first, you may very well prefer it. I think that the SLBC (Strangford Lough Brewing Company) has captured flavors with these ales that are so unique that they will rock your knowledge of beer to its very core. I did try this brew after the Legbiter, and I feel that that action prejudiced me. I did prefer the Legbiter, but I feel that is only because I tried it first. Definitely give this a go if you run across it, and if you happen to be in or near Gulfport, Mississippi, USA you can find both of these on tap at Rooney's Irish Pub, 1316 27th Avenue.
    Zech gives St Patrick's Best 3.5 out of 5 stars

St Patrick's Best Ale. A similar product, Yes. If you were to drink these on separate occasions you may even confuse the two, but the malted barley is more distinct in this Ale. I felt the bite of this one and the head was lighter and didn't seem to linger near as long, but also I think Zech was right when he said whichever of the two you tried first may be the one you favor. I truly favor this beer. I actually agree with Strangford Lough Brewing when they call this their Best Ale. It is though not like any Ale Ive ever tried which made me ask, What the Ale?
Matt Rates this a 4.5 out of 5    
   



No comments:

Post a Comment