Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spaten Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel

         
  Well, the good news first. If you like dunkel hefeweissbiers, this stuff is great. It has for some people less of a skunky, wet-grass undertone than Weihenstephaner's Hefeweissbier Dunkel, and the phenol and annyl acetate tones are slightly more pronounced (the clove and banana smells). It goes down smooth, is very refreshing, isn't too filling and pairs nicely with pork or beef. Has a tingly mouthfeel and finishes clean due to the low hop oil content. Is not so spicy that you couldn't introduce a friend to the glories of dark, unfiltered German wheat beers via this brew, though before you do that, please read the rest of the post.

  Now the bad news. Please forgive me, I did not know and in my ignorance I have sinned. Spaten Franziskaner is owned by InBev, the Multinational Mega-Conglomerate that owns Anheuser-Busch. I will not rant or rage with spittle and bared teeth in this particular post about the evils of these corporations, but I will lament that InBev got some of my hard earned cash. However, I will rate this beer objectively. But, please if you decide to try a Dunkel Hefeweissbier or Dunkel Hefeweizen, give a brand like Weihenstephaner a try.
   -Zach gives this a 4 out of 5-

After watching the documentary Beer Wars, which I highly recommend for anyone who wants to expand themselves to craft brews, I made a vow not to spend my hard earned dollars on Anheiser-Busch or their conglomerates products. So as I have set my standards, I cannot review this beer. That being  said my standards also are "I will not ever turn away a free beer". So if someone would like my opinion on this beer, set me one up, and I'll give you an objective, unbiased review. -Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment