Friday, March 11, 2011

Abita Jockamo IPA

    Yep, that is my Bass Amp/ beer stand underneath the brew again. On the way to the movies Friday night my wife and I stopped by a new Liquor store in Jackson just to browse and I stumbled upon this little six pack of ambrosia called Abita Jockamo IPA. You may recognize the Abita name as a Louisiana brewer that Matt & I were impressed with at the Biloxi BeerFest. 
    I don't think Matt & I have reviewed an IPA yet, so when the caramelly, hoppy goodness of this 6.5% abv ale hit my palate I knew I would have to sing its praises. This is an incredible India Pale Ale. 
   The foam is tan as you would expect, and the hop oils insure that the bubbles are small & densely packed in a head that lingers long after it is poured. The head itself taste bitter and is reminiscent of a british bitter, similar to Boddington's. 
   The color is a gorgeous caramel amber and in my Samuel Adams nucleated glass the light seems to sparkle and dance through this ale. Upon initial taste, there is the distinctive bite of hop-intensive brews, but so well balanced as not to overwhelm. I wonder if noble hops were used in this recipe, or some other aroma hop as I am quick to pick up on high alpha acid concentrations in bittering hops. The mouthfeel is influenced by sufficient amounts of oil from the hops for the flavor to linger just long enough for you to savor the subtle yet amazing caramel flavor that ghost across your taste buds as this beer warms. This is not a sweet beer, but the caramel flavor adds such depth to its character that I was genuinely impressed. As the beer warms, you can even smell the caramel wafting towards your nostrils.
   My genuine heartfelt thanks to the people at Abita for making this splendiferous (Ha! take that spellcheck) and glorious concoction. 
                I feel no choice but to give this a 5 out of 5 and to add that trying this ale should be on EVERY true beer drinkers bucket list. 
 
    This IPA also was an amazement to me for as I poured it I discovered a light, super fluffy head that left like an airplanes vapor trail on a breezy day. Yet as I drank it I found that with every sip it shook up some bubbles that tickle the flavors in your mouth and give you an array of flavor that you will not find in many India Pale Ales. The initial aroma gave me a classic beer smell, but the flavors did not match. The malt and hops are carefully matched to create a pleasant tingly start and finish and leave you a satisfying aftertaste. Not usually a huge IPA fan Abita has won me over. I tried pairing this with a grilled chicken breast with a tomato chutney, and it was amazing. give it a try. Matt gives 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment