Friday, July 8, 2011

Yazoo Hefeweizen

Within this blog we have often spoken about hefeweizens and their various characteristics. This my friends is the penultimate hefeweizen. It is a superlative example of the student becoming the master. The fine folks at Yazoo brewing have taken a time honored and venerable German brew and recreated it here in America with love, artistry and exquisite attention to detail. The phenolic tones in the nose are so pure and unpolluted they truly allow you to experience the full glory of what a hefeweizen should be. A truly astounding brew and a must try. Make sure you swirl the last bit in the bottle to pour it into your glass to get the yeast.
-Zech gives Yazoo Hefeweizen a 6 out of 5- Ha!

I think Zech likes it. What do you think? I found many nuances in this hefeweizen that set it apart as it's own. First the unfiltered beer has a clean feel on your palate, giving you a full shot of flavors. The hops used in this give a cornucopia of flavors that you'll find yourself picking up on as it warms. One outstanding flavor I tasted was banana, no, they did not put banana in the beer. Many of these hefeweizens get a little oily for me, but this one only has a slight heaviness.That is the kind of chemistry that you can enjoy when trying this beer. I really like pairing various brews with certain foods and with this beer I found myself leaning toward something fresh and light, like a chicken salad with some dried cranberries and nuts. I think that if you have never tried a hefeweizen beer than you should start here. How could anyone not like this beer?
Matt gives this a 4 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys! I agree 100% with both of your comments. I love a good hefeweizen and Yazoo has definitely made a good one!! Can't wait to see you and your families again soon and enjoy a couple of good brews!!! -Shelley

    ReplyDelete