Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Samuel Adams Imperial Stout

 This is an intense Brew. If you have not graduated to truly enjoying Guinness Draft, you should avoid this beverage, particularly since its 9.2% abv demands, that at least in the state of Tennessee it be sold in Liquor stores for $12 to $14 per 4-pack. Now that the preliminaries are concluded, on with the review.
  This stout pours thick and smooth, with a thin, darkly tanned head. There are hints of sorghum, barley, anise and coffee in its aromatic presentation, which as a whole approximate the smell of Worcestershire sauce. Yes, I said Worcestershire Sauce. I again reiterate, this is NOT a brew for the unitiated.
  Ok, so basically I pop the top off this thing, pour it into my frosted pub glass and smell something a retard (forgive me...mentally challenged) might pour on a poorly done steak (read "Zech is not a fan of Worcestershire Sauce"). But being a determined reviewer and ultimately concerned that our readers spend their hard earned cash wisely, I dive in.
 Surprise! This stuff is actually rather tasty. There are hints of grape wine as the stout breathes, the high abv ensures that the finish lingers smooth on the tongue with very little bitterness and it even burps smooth. 
  The blurb on the bottle label written by Jim Koch, founder of Sam Adams, whom I respect immensely, would lead one to believe that this is a complex brew that will make the drinker more sophisticated. In this, I must disagree with Mr. Koch. The mix of strong flavors all seeking to overpower each other, turns this beer into a single, uncomplicated miasma of 'what is that?'. So I did not find it to be a complex fairyland of flavor, but rather an example of art gone wrong. Though I found this brew drinkable, even somewhat enjoyable, I will not be purchasing it in the future. On the other hand, if someone else purchases it and offers it to me, I will gladly drink as much as they will share.  Zech gives this 2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment